Mental health on a whole includes our emotional, psychological and social well-being. It can affect the way we think, feel and act. Mental health is an important factor in every stage of life, from childhood through adulthood.
Factors that contribute to mental health problems can be biological such as genes or brain chemistry, life experiences like trauma or abuse and family history of mental health problems.
Signs of Mental illness
If anyone you know is suffering from mental issues, these are few early warning signs of a serious problem.
- Eating or sleeping too much or very little
- Low or no energy
- Feeling helpless or hopeless
- Drinking, smoking or using drugs more than usual
- Yelling or fighting with family or friends
- Pulling away from people and usual activities
- Having unexplained aches and pains
- Thinking of harming yourself or others
- Inability to perform daily tasks like taking care of your kids or getting to work or school
- Feeling numb or like nothing matters
Wellness of Mental health
Positive mental health can allow people to realize their full potential and work productively. It can also help in coping with everyday stresses in life and make meaningful contributions to their communities.
The ways you can maintain a positive health is by
- Connecting with others
- Getting professional help if you need it
- Staying positive
- Getting physically active
- Helping others
- Getting enough sleep
- Developing coping skills