Everyone at some point of their lives will have trouble sleeping. Even you must have had difficulty getting to sleep or staying asleep throughout the night. You must have had nights frustrated, staring at your ceiling and wishing that you fall asleep.
Sleeping may seem easy and a very natural thing until it becomes a difficult task. For many people, it gets worse and it hinders their daytime functioning that they end up seeking help for their sleep disorder.
There are different forms of sleep disorders of which the main sleep disorders include
- Sleep apnoea
- Delayed sleep phase disorder
- Restless legs syndrome
- Parasomnias such as night terrors
All sleep disorders have one thing in common and that is a negative impact on daytime functions. Sleep disorders come with a lot of daytime problems which can eventually impair quality of life.
Sleep disorders are developed due to some health problems like
- Allergies and respiratory problems
- Chronic pain
- Stress and anxiety
Treatment varies depending on the type and cause of the disorder. In general, treatment includes a combination of medical treatments and lifestyle changes.
Treatment for sleep disturbances include
- Sleeping pills
- Melatonin supplements
- Allergy or cold meditation
- Medications for any underlying health issues
- A dental guard (usually for teeth grinding)
- Breathing device or surgery (usually for sleep apnoea)
Changes in your lifestyle can make a great improvement in your quality of sleep. Here are few ways.
- Incorporating more vegetables and fish into your diet and reducing sugar intake
- Reducing stress and anxiety by exercising
- Drinking less water before bedtime
- Creating and sticking to a regular sleeping schedule
- Decreasing tobacco and alcohol use
- Eating smaller low carbohydrates meals before bedtime